Before I explain the benefits of custom locks, let me explain the difference between custom and standard “Off the Shelf Locks”. When you walk into a big box hardware store and purchase a door lock or padlock, those are standard locks. When you contact a “Service Center” you get the opportunity to have the locks assembled to your exact specifications, these are custom.
When you purchase custom locks, you get the ability to determine the security level, decide if you want them keyed alike or keyed different and the number of keys you want cut. Once all of the options are considered “Lock Service Center” assemblers will put your order together using parts. One of the most important advantages is that the keys will be registered to you, meaning that you will have the only keys to open your locks. When you buy locks from big box stores the keys are very likely to repeat themselves. This means that someone else will have the same keys that you do.
Benefits of Custom Locks:
- Choose the exact number of locks needed
- Do you want them keyed alike (one key opens all locks) or keyed different (each locks requires its own key to open)
- How many total keys china smart lock
- Security level (this is directly related to price), the higher the security level the higher the price
- Registered key and lock codes
- Choose the finish of the door lock
- Master keying options (Master keying is where each lock has its own key with the master keys being able to open all locks). Master keying systems are usually registered.
The choice that you make is convenience over security. It is very convenient to be able to walk into a big box store, choose your locks and leave and for some applications this is a very good choice.
The decision that you should make before you purchase a lock is “What are you trying to protect”. If you need a padlock for a storage shed where you keep your lawn mower, then buying at a big box store would be acceptable. On the other hand, if you are buying a lock to put on the front door to your house then you should consider a custom lock; after all, you are protecting the most important thing you have, your family.